Our Playlists come in two types: Regular and Smart. Regular allows you to add videos by selecting each one manually. This has it's place, but Smart Playlists can provide a much more powerful and automated workflow. Here are some steps to create a workflow for an automated playlist on your Viddler account.
Creating a Smart Playlist
- Go to your Playlists and click 'Create New Playlist'.
- Select the Smart option and click 'Create'.
- You will be presented with a playlist containing all of your videos. You'll need to edit the "smart" attributes of the playlist to filter through to the videos you want to appear in the playlist. This can be done by clicking 'Edit' at the top of the playlist.
- Add a tag which is used in at least one of your videos. (If you're not tagging your videos, then you should begin to because this aids with searching for them within your account, SEO, and workflows like smart playlists (which can also be beneficial to Subscriptions).) Confirm that the Status of the playlist matches the permissions of the video(s) you'd like to appear in the playlist. In most cases, this will be 'Public'. Then click 'Done'.
You will now see all the videos for that tag and privacy in your Smart Playlist. Now, I'll detail the process of automating adding tags to videos upon upload.
- Go to your Default Settings and click the Player Setup tab.
- Scroll down to Default Tags and enter tags (especially the one(s) you used for the Smart Playlist) you would like to be added to any future video you upload.
- Click 'Save'.
You're done! Now, any video you upload from now on will have the tags added here, and those videos will automatically be pulled in to that Smart Playlist. If you're using Subscriptions, then those videos will also appear in the Set associated with the Smart Playlist. It's like magic!